[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Library course using Evergreen

Shirley Lew shirleysue at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 01:39:50 EST 2010

Hello!

I've been lurking on this list for several weeks and thought I should
introduce myself. My name is Shirley Lew and I'm teaching a course,
Library Automation & Systems, at the School of Library, Archival &
Information Studies (SLAIS) program at UBC this term - course web site
is here http://blogs.ubc.ca/libr551/blog/. The course is using an
instance of Evergreen for teaching and learning purposes, provided for
us by the Sitka Consortium in British Columbia. For the majority of
students, this is the first opportunity they will have had for
hands-on exploration of an open source ILS. They're curious and
excited to see what Evergreen has to offer, for good reason!

The major course assignment this term involves evaluating some of the
functionality of Evergreen (specifically the circulation module) and
comparing it with Koha for Class, the other ILS system to which we
have access. I will be encouraging students to subscribe to this
listserv, both to observe the discussion and to ask questions as they
get to know the system. This discussion list is clearly a very
supportive and collegial one, so I thank everyone in advance for any
help/support you can offer students who may ask questions.

- Shirley