[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Library course using Evergreen

Tara Robertson information.detective at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 11:16:02 EST 2010

Hi Robert,

Shirley and I have talked a lot about the readings, the assignments and I'll
be helping with the Evergreen part of the class.

I think installing and configuring Evergreen would be waaaaaay beyond the
scope of 3 credit class, as well as beyond the scope of almost all library
school students (and almost all librarian's) technical abilities. This might
be slightly more realistic in a few years when Evergreen is easier to
install, and when library school students have more technical skills.

This is the first time that a class like this has ever been taught at UBC. I
think Shirley has done a great job of covering a variety of topics and still
keeping it a manageable 3 credit course. As it's a new class, I'm sure
she'll revise it before she teaches it again.

The course readings are listed on the website:
http://blogs.ubc.ca/libr551/readings/ Abrams' "white paper" is on March 9th,
along with Mark Leggott's response. The other readings that week explore the
Koha fork, and the strong community values around open source/free software.

I don't think any 3 credit course can cover all the options for selecting an
ILS, however I think that after this class students will hopefully
understand some of the questions that people are asking about systems,
library automation, and the current marketplace.

Cheers,
Tara