[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Feature inquiry: additional boosts for relevance ranking

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Mon Jul 12 11:09:44 EDT 2010

Hi all,

We were considering the possibility of adding factors to Evergreen's
relevance ranking so that an item gets boosts based on its popularity or its
newness. I know there will be some major changes in search in the 2.0
release, and I was wondering if any work is already being done on this or if
there is interest in doing so. With these additional boosts, our hope is
that Evergreen could more easily make the determination that a search for
"twilight" is most likely the Stephenie Meyer's novel that has recently seen
thousands of checkouts and enormous holds queues and not the many other
books with the same title that are probably gathering dust on the library's
shelf.

The description for the enhancement we are considering is as follows:

This feature would enhance Evergreen's relevance ranking by including more
data, particularly usage data, in the algorithm when calculating relevance
scores. Libraries can currently adjust  search relevancy based on fields in
the MARC record using the search.relevance_adjustment table. This
enhancement would add the following tweakable boosts:

*	Publication date (newer titles get a bigger boost than older ones)
*	Circulation activity
*	Size of holds queue
*	Number of holdings
*	Number of orders
*	Items on course reserves (once Evergreen is working with a course
reserves system)

Are there any other boosts you would include?

Thanks!

Kathy Lussier

Kathy Lussier

Project Coordinator