[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Call numbers in Evergreen

Don McMorris don.mcmorris at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 22:03:23 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 9:36 PM, Dan Scott <dan at coffeecode.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-07-27 at 15:33 -0400, Kathy Lussier wrote:
<snip>

>> We also wanted to float the idea of breaking up the call number into
>> multiple fields as opposed to putting the entire call number (prefix,
>> call number, suffix) into one free-text field. We have many libraries
>> that use J as a prefix for children’s materials while others use juv,
>> and there are many other areas where the prefixes differ. Pulling
>> those prefixes and suffixes into different fields could simplify the
>> process of creating reports based on call numbers, sorting by call
>> number, and possibly creating spine labels.
>>

> Interesting. In the past we used prefixes on our call numbers to
> identify which library holds a given book, but we've done away with them
> to avoid messing up call number sorting in the loverly shelf browse. The
> idea of having non-sorting prefixes and suffixes is intriguing -
> although I wonder if it would make more sense to work out a programmatic
> way to tell the spine label editor to generate a given prefix or suffix
> when printing a spine label, rather than manually entering that
> information into new fields all the time.

The MARC Format for Holdings [1], specifically the 852 field [2],
calls for a Shelving Scheme (Indicator 1)  (including Dewey and LC),
and different sections for each of call number parts (IE: $h for
classification part, $i for item part, $k for prefix; EX: 'J 001.64
GAT' might appear as '852 1# $h 001.64 $i GAT $k J').

Although Evergreen doesn't internally utilize the MARC Format for
Holdings Data for storing volume/call number [3] and copy [4] data of
actual "barcoded" material, the MFHD could be used as a potential
planning tool for how to separate out the data.

Hope this helps.

--Don

[1]: http://www.loc.gov/marc/holdings/echdhome.html
[2]: http://www.loc.gov/marc/holdings/hd852.html