[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] ***SPAM*** Re: Call numbers in Evergreen

Don Butterworth don.butterworth at asburyseminary.edu
Wed Jul 28 05:26:23 EDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Scott" <dan at coffeecode.net>
To: "Evergreen Discussion Group" <open-ils-general at list.georgialibraries.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 9:36:40 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Call numbers in Evergreen

<snip>

Interesting. In the past we used prefixes on our call numbers to
identify which library holds a given book, but we've done away with them
to avoid messing up call number sorting in the loverly shelf browse. The
idea of having non-sorting prefixes and suffixes is intriguing -
although I wonder if it would make more sense to work out a programmatic
way to tell the spine label editor to generate a given prefix or suffix
when printing a spine label, rather than manually entering that
information into new fields all the time.

In our former system, call number prefixes were assigned based on a parameter set in a Collection Code definition area. In other words, the collection code ATSREF defined the call number prefix prefix Ref., ACREF also defined the call number prefix Ref. This work great both for gathering statistics and applying the prefix. It was a set it then forget it operation. Our current system "tries" to do the same thing, but it does not work as seamlessly.

Please pardon my ignorance, but it sounds like Evergreen requires keying in every call number prefix. Is that true? Wouldn't that be an unnecessary extra burden for the data entry person?

Don (the lurker)

Don Butterworth
Faculty Associate / Librarian III
B.L. Fisher Library