[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Adding Z39.50 target

Benjamin Shum bshum at biblio.org
Wed Jul 28 14:57:56 EDT 2010

Hi Deanna,

Defining z39.50 targets in the staff client is very straightforward, but there isn't an interface to show all the attributes associated with them (as far as I know).  For in-db z39.50 targets, we ended up having to define all the various attributes for searching our z39.50 target.  Take a look at the table "config.z3950_attr"

This table should define out all the different indexes you can search against for your existing z39.50 targets (by default, LOC, OCLC, and biblios).  The source identified which target you're associating the attribute with, name and label to define what you're searching on, and code/format to show what the index and format results look like.  I believe there's documentation on official code numbers for z39.50 but it largely depends on what indexes are available on your target database.

Not sure if there's any good documentation on the specifics out in the field.  Will do some digging or I'm sure someone else will comment next.

Good luck,

Benjamin

On Jul 28, 2010, at 2:47 PM, Deanna Frazee wrote:

> Our catalogers would like for me to add several z39.50 targets for sites they regularly search for MARC records.  I have input the host, port and database name for a couple of targets, but I cannot get Evergreen to let me search them.  These are sites that do not require usernames and passwords, and I am on release 1.6.0.6.  Any suggestions?
>
> Deanna Frazee
> Director of Library Services
> Killeen City Library System
> 205 E. Church Ave.