[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Cataloging templates

Benjamin Shum bshum at biblio.org
Fri Jul 30 18:32:42 EDT 2010

Hi Deanna,

If I'm understanding your question properly, I believe these are controlled on the server side of things by files located in the /openils/var/templates/marc folder (by default).  In that directory, there are various xml files that control these templates.  On our system (which is 1.6.0.2), we would appear to still use the defaults of k_book.xml, k_video.xml, etc.  In the future we'll probably have to look at changing that ourselves... heh.

As I understand it, the way to create new templates is to duplicate similar xml files like the ones in that directory but change the tag information based on whatever you wish the template to contain.  After doing so, you'll need to restart the OpenSRF services (perl it seems) in order to make use of the new templates the next time you re-launch the staff client.

Dan Scott and Jason Etheridge mentioned some of this in a markmail thread for EG 1.4.0.4 (see: http://georgialibraries.markmail.org/thread/b7er3rlmdxxlaaz5) but the principles should still apply for 1.6.0 series as far as I know.  I don't believe these are controlled anywhere via the staff client interfaces (yet).

-- Ben

On Jul 30, 2010, at 6:07 PM, Deanna Frazee wrote:

> We have been unable to add templates for cataloging.  The only option we have when we go to create a MARC record is for books.  There appears to be no way to add a template.  No button for adding one, no error messages, nothing.  Just the book template, which is a pain to modify every time you are cataloging a cart of DVD’s.   We are on version 1.6.0.6.
>
> Thanks!
> Deanna
>
> Deanna Frazee
> Director of Library Services