[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] ***SPAM*** Re: ***SPAM*** Re: Why is Placing a Hold on Volume Level not possible in the OPAC ?

Repke de Vries repke at xs4all.nl
Mon Jun 7 16:55:24 EDT 2010

Thanks Bill for the hint to make the Volume Hold conditional by
taking a cue from record and/or call number -  the call number idea
in particular.

Jason, your idea  to

>> 2) have the main Place Hold link for the record prompt the user
>> for a specific volume

is very attractive from a usability point of view (with tens and tens
of  bound volumes, the Copy Information list quickly grows too long)
and ties in well with experimental work Laurentian University did on
their Search Results page which has the Place Hold button straight in
the middle of the screen:
    http://laurentian-test.concat.ca/opac/en-CA/skin/btresult/xml/
rresult.xml?rt=keyword&tp=keyword&t=Journal%20unesco&l=105&d=1&f=&av=

however:  our library's scenario of use is more complicated than
"prompting the user for a specific volume" if Place Hold is clicked:

evaluating Evergreen we are struggling with a situation where we have
printed journals with bound volumes (highest level in the hierarchy)
but also article level bibliographic descriptions (lowest level of
the hierarchy); at the article level a MARC 773  $g points to the
highest level - like "Vol. 13, No. 2, p. 273-287"

It is well possible to make that 773 a clickable link and help the
user jump to the printed journal where he can Place the Volume Hold
but both in Bill's approach and in your single action Place Hold With
Dialogue, the user has to remember from the previous step which
Volume to pick:  "O, yes, I believe it was in Volume 13 .. or was it
twelve ?"

Somehow you want the user to
- either arrive at the level where he can place a Volume Hold with
Evergreen remembering the right Volume (would probably need
additional information in the 773 at article level)
- or stay at the level of the search result and have a Place Volume
Hold right there; the physical copy however is not at that article level

While at it: having a journal article bibliographic description show
up at all in the OPAC, we need a 852 with "dummy barcode" and other
fake information. It would be very interesting to extend the "non
barcoded resource" discussion in the Evergreen community to resources
like journal articles (or Twin Peaks reviews as in Bill Ott's) and
instead of a 773 / 852 combo, use the 856 which gives you both OPAC
visibility *and* a clickable link for jumping to the right level for
Place Volume Hold -  be it with usability issues as explained above.

Appreciating your or anyone's comments,

Repke de Vries, PPL

Op 7-jun-2010, om 1:29 heeft Bill Ott het volgende geschreven: