[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] release with media booking module?

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Wed Jun 30 00:05:34 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-06-29 at 15:21 -0400, Rogan Hamby wrote:
> Gordana,
>
> Booking is in 1.6.1 I think if I'm remember the version number correctly
> and if that's what you're referring to.  That's the next planned release
> which is around the corner, perhaps even very soon.  Someone who watches
> the development list more closely than I do probably knows more though.

Releases of 1.6.1.0 and 1.6.1.1 were uploaded to the downloads area some
time ago (
http://evergreen-ils.org/downloads/Evergreen-ILS-1.6.1.1.tar.gz
) but weren't announced for several reasons:

1) Nobody has yet written the upgrade instructions for it. It should
follow the normal configure && make && make install dance, with the
application of the 1.6.1.0 upgrade SQL script, but there is also at
least one new pre-requisite, the UUID::Tiny Perl module, that I'm aware
of.

2) There has been very little testing of these releases. We know that
the 1.6.0.4-1.6.1.0 upgrade SQL script bundled in 1.6.1.1 actually
introduces a regression in a view and a function, and I suspect from Don
McMorris's post on the -DEV list earlier that a fresh install of the
1.6.1.1 schema will result in missing parts of the booking data that
should have been populated.

3) I personally haven't been able to figure out how to write about the
now-three "current stable" releases (the 1.4.0.7 release, the 1.6.0.6
release, and the 1.6.1.1 release) all at the same time on the same page
in a way that makes sense.

For the known issues in 2) we could issue additional fixes to apply
post-install/post-upgrade, but it would be nicer to just have the fixes
in place in the release itself. Creating a release isn't an automatic
process, unfortunately; it still requires a tremendous amount of one
person's time (Mike Rylander's, currently), so finding the right balance
between just getting the code out there in a release (and issuing
subsequent "hotfixes") while continuing to work on new features, vs.
refining the releases to avoid the need for hotfixes, is still very much
a hard balance to find.

In any case - if you want to try the 1.6.1.1 release, it is there and
feedback would be appreciated.