[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] BibTemplate infrastructure: how does changing rdetail_summary take effect (and what does it effect)

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 15:49:56 EDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 1:10 PM, Repke de Vries <repke at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Having looked at Conifer work in particular [1]:
>
> and evaluating with Dan Scott's 1.6.0.1 Evergreen Virtual Image (and the
> default craftsman OPAC skin):
>
> - changes in rdetail_summary. xml take immediate effect ? No other action or
> changes  needed ?

Correct.   At most, flush your browser cache or shift-reload.

> For chapters belonging to books and for articles belonging to higher levels
> of journal descriptions, we would like to  try a few things with the MARC
> 773 field.
>
> - the need for "dummy barcodes" ("dummy copy records") has been discussed
> here on the list to force OPAC searchability / visibility:
> is rdetail_summary.xml the place to suppress those dummy barcodes from
> showing up in "copy detail" information ?
> Has someone done that ?

You can do one of a couple things to avoid dummy copies:
  * set the bib_source column on the biblio.record_entry row to a
source (config.bib_source) where the transcendant field is set to TRUE
  * add an 856 field with at least subfield u, which should contain a
URI, and a subfield 9 which contains the shortname of one of your org
units

The former is for records which should regardless of where you search,
and the the latter is for online resources that have no physical
copies.

If you don't like the semantics of either of those, you could use the
opac/slot-format code you add for you 773 to hide the copy summary
guts.

--
Mike Rylander