[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] ***SPAM*** translation for Evergreen in launchpad

David Marien davidmarien at freenet.de
Sat Mar 27 09:57:14 EDT 2010

Hello everybody,

this is hopefully the right place for my questions.
I am working on the german translation of Evergreen in launchpad

Therefore I need an explanation of a term that is used in your App.
What is meant by bookbag? It´s wider meaning is not clear for me in this
context.

Is it a kind of category? (all books of cars, stamps etc)
Is it a kind of personalization? ( all books of Jim, Sam etc)

Is it something, I did not thougt about?

For non-native speakers it is sometimes hard to translate such kind of
metaphors.

Another problem is this textpassage:

> Holds lists are not as simple as'first come, first served.' A complex
> matrix combining
> consideration of item ownership, patron home library, and item
> purchase date determines priorities for holds; the list is dynamic,
> changing with every hold placed. Therefore, any indication of a place
> in the
> holds list would be inaccurate. The holds system is designed to
> obtain a requested item in the fastest and most efficient way
> possible. Your library will contact you when you hold items become
> available.

I will explain it in my words. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Holds lists  are lists that allow you to administrate an inventory of a
libary. If a new "group" of books (holds) was added, this list is
changing. A complex  matrix in combination with some properties e. g.
ownership, patron home libary or purchaise date allow you to define
priorities for the holds. So this offers a fast and efficient way.

That´s what I understood

it could be that I have to mail you a second time because I found
something I did not understand.

Thank you for your help.

David Marien.