[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] RFPs for system development

Lori Bowen Ayre lori.ayre at galecia.com
Sat May 15 16:05:21 EDT 2010

George,

I agree. Open Source DOES mean rethinking the RFP process. And, one way to
rethink it is to do an RFP for *services*.  Some of the services I might
seek via RFP are:

   - getting help setting up a test environment
   - migration, support and/or hosting services
   - assessing the suitability of products against a set of criteria, or
   - helping develop the criteria  to be used for evaluation

Not sure what you mean by wide-scale testing or if that is the ONLY way to
"rethink the RFP" process.  But, definitely a rethink is needed.  To
paraphrase something someone else said (which I could remember who)... if
you use the same old procurement method, you'll keep getting the same old
thing.

Lori Ayre