[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] RFPs for system development

Almond, Emily ealmond at georgialibraries.org
Mon May 17 08:53:34 EDT 2010

Experience has taught me that an open-source RFP would do well to include the elements George and Lori are talking about. I structure mine the following way:

-- Requirements - as Lori mentioned, there needs to be a priority metric in place.
What makes one priority more important? The immediate functional needs of one library? The fact that every library in the consortium wants this or that feature?

How do you plan for "phasing" your development if need be. One of the good things about open-source is that it's never finished (no software is, really..) so how do you know when phase 1 is done/good enough to test and launch? When you can answer that, you have what you need to put your "P1's" in place. Then you get to figure out your P2's, P3's, etc.

-- Workflows - as George mentioned, if you have your workflow mapped out (the way you want it to work, not the way it works now) then you know what you want, what you really really want. I have discovered countless questions we were able to answer and incorporate into the RFP just by asking ourselves "how do we want this to work? What's software and what's policy and process (remember to only chart the software workflow) and how many different ways does it really need to work to get this job done?

When you have good workflows, you can label key junctures (wf1, s12) and refer back to them in your RFP - this context can prove invaluable to any contractor or developer you're working with in understanding what it is that you really want.

-- Use Cases - finally, in terms of trying to make sure you have your bases covered and in trying to describe your requirements in yet another way, use cases are great tools. They're a story - Sue Patron walks into a library and wants to... and talk it all the way through. It's a way for us to make sure we haven't left anything out and a way for the developers/contractors to perhaps, with this context, not only really understand what we're talking about, but suggest a different solution?

In my experience reading rfp's, I often start with use cases so I can get my head around what the potential client is talking about, then look at the workflows, then dive into the requirements - big picture to small.

These are just initial thoughts based on doing lots of RFP's... is there a right way? Nope, imho. Depending on the scope of your project, there's lots of ways to do this.. Good luck!

Emily

Emily A. Almond
PINES Software Development Manager
Georgia Public Library Service