[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Cataloging workflows

Turner, Jennifer M jennifer.turner at mnsu.edu
Tue May 18 16:59:34 EDT 2010

Hello all,

I am working with a regional library system to bring them live on Evergreen (from Sirsi).  During our training sessions, the cataloging staff asked me what other libraries' cataloging workflows are like in Evergreen.  Currently there is no way to auto-generate 'fake' item records for imported vendor files, as these catalogers are accustomed to doing (to allow holds on on-order items) - at least to my knowledge.  Has anyone discovered a semi-smooth workflow for adding on-order titles and allowing these titles to be OPAC visible/holdable? Additionally, does anyone have a good workflow for adding items to batch-loaded records?

Our first libraries go live this coming Monday - I think their knowledge of cataloging in Evergreen is firm enough to get them started, but any tips people have for smoothing out the cataloging process would be much appreciated by both me and the library staff!

Thanks in advance,
Jenny

Jennifer Turner
PALS, A Program of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities
Minnesota State University, Mankato
ML 3022
Mankato, MN 56001
507-389-2000