[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Zipcode Problem

Joel Harbottle joel.r.harbottle at gmail.com
Tue May 18 20:42:14 EDT 2010

Hi,

The library I work in is having a problem with Zipcodes in Evergreen..

As we are an Australian library, our zipcodes (we call them Post codes, here
in Australia) are not compatible with Evergreen. The reason for this is
because our Post codes are 4 digits long, e.g. for Launceston Tasmania: 7250

When our library migrated to Evergreen a couple years back, we resorted to a
'temporary' fix around this problem at the Circulation/Enquiries desk when
people joined the Library, by puting the number '0' before their postcode,
e.g. '07250'. By doing this, Evergreen would accept it.

Every week a staff member will run a 'Holds Available' Notice Report, print
them and mail them to clients who have holds awaiting.

For the last two years, since our library migrated to Evergreen, Australia
Post have been understanding of this glitch in Evergreen in regards to the
Postcodes and the way the addresses are printed and have allowed us to post
our notices to patrons, with the '0' at the beginning of the official
postcode.

Unfortunately, we have just received a call a moment ago, prior to me
sending this email, stating that our library is no longer allowed to mail
hold notices to patrons because of the '0' before the postcode, and because
of the address layout printed from Evergreen.

This is because Australia Post have done an upgrade to their computer system
recently. From this upgrade, their sorting software no longer ignores the
'0' we put before the postcode. Australia Post are also requesting that we
fix the way postal addresses print from Evergreen before we send any hold
notices again.

Is there an ultra-easy way in Evergreen to fix this post code problem, to
allow Evergreen to accept a 4 digit postcode, such as 7250. As well as the
postcode problem is there an ultra-easy to change the layout of the postal
address when it is printed, so it is in the standard for postal addresses
here in Australia. (Example below):

Mr Joe Bloggs
101 Example Street
LAUNCESTON  TAS  7250
Australia

(On the postal address printout, we don't need 'Australia' to show, as we
are only posting locally.)

Our library has had this problem since we migrated to Evergreen two years
ago. We migrated to Evergreen 1.2.0.4, and are now using Evergreen 1.4.0.6,
and have had this problem since 1.2.0.4.

Our library is also planning to upgrade to Evergreen 1.6 in the next two
months. But since this is a major disruption to our workflow, this needs
fixing in 1.4.0.6, as we are unable to spare the time to wait til our 1.6
upgrade.

Kindest Regards,
Joel

Joel Harbottle