[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Details of fiscal sponsorship agreement for Evergreen & Conservancy

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Wed Nov 10 11:24:52 EST 2010

The Conservancy has added one new member organization since we
received the draft agreement, and it's not us!
(http://sfconservancy.org/news/2010/nov/10/pypy-joins/).

Based on the lack of comments, I'm wondering if anyone has looked at
the Software Freedom Conservancy draft agreement that I posted to the
open-ils-general list on October 21? At the time, I had suggested that
we try to collect a list of questions together by October 28th, a date
that has come and gone.

On the governance list, we've been doing some soul-searching about
whether to establish a small, focused foundation or a very broad
foundation. In principle, I'm not opposed to a foundation that
includes a users' group, various committees, membership fees, etc, but
I worry that getting it right will take a long time - and when dealing
with a scope that broad, I would much rather get things right and take
a long time, than get things done fast but fatally flawed at the
outset.

However, we don't have to exist in the mean time without the benefit
of being part of a 501(c)(3); based on the draft agreement, the
relationship with the Conservancy can be as lightweight as a temporary
home that we can leave in 60 days if another 501(c)(3) can receive the
assets. I've checked with Bradley Kuhn to ensure that would be okay,
and he said "I really don't get why people don't just use as that:
Keep debating the other issues while having a Conservancy membership,
and even move in forming the new org in parallel."

So, based on that, would it be possible to move forward on the
governance front in two tracks?

1) Short-term (e.g. next month?): establish an agreement with the
Conservancy that enables us to take advantage of the benefits of being
part of a 501(c)(3) and provides a neutral place for holding the
Evergreen collateral (trademarks, logos, domain names...). We would
work directly with the Conservancy to establish the ground rules for
our agreement (as Bradley offered when he sent us the sponsorship
agreement - and which we have not as of yet used).  Some projects
simply nominate one person to act as the point of contact with the
Conservancy; it could be as simple as that. If we get set up before
the end of year, then Americans would be able to make tax-free
donations to Evergreen as a Christmas present!

2) Longer-term (e.g. in time for the next Evergreen Conference):
establish the complete set of rules of governance, including standing
committees, membership rules & fees, meeting rules, compensation,
possibly setting up a standalone 501(c)(3)?

Dan