[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen resources to search (was: Evergreen Web Site Strategy)

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Tue Nov 16 17:27:10 EST 2010

On 16 November 2010 11:47, Lori Bowen Ayre <lori.ayre at galecia.com> wrote:
> Dan,
> Thanks for the explanation about this CSE, Dan!  That will be very useful
> for the Communication/Web team's work.

My pleasure!

> About how the CSE works.....it doesn't seem to be able to find some things
> on the wiki.  For example when I search "Communications Committee," it fails
> to find the wiki page called "Evergreen Communications Committee."  It find
> notes about the committee and provides several links to the RSCEL site but
> not the official EG Communications Committee page.

It seems that there was a problem in the wiki config that was telling
Google not to index its pages. That's been fixed up now, and will
hopefully address that rather serious problem.

Also note that in past Web discussions I had suggested that we explore
the dokuwiki config that allows clean URLs (like
http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/communications instead of
http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=communications) as
Google tends to like indexing clean URLs much more than obviously
dynamic URLs.

> I'm wondering if there is some tweaking that can be done to the CSE so it a)
> finds wiki pages with the search term in the title, and b) displays them
> ahead of RSCEL stuff.

There's really no available tweaking that I'm aware of. Once the wiki
has actually been indexed, we'll get a better idea of how things shake
out.

> We are trying to keep all official communications on the wiki and mailing
> list so it seems important that those hits come up ahead of things offsite

Right-o!

As a fun exercise, let's say we find that Communications Committee
wiki page. http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=communications
links to http://rscel.evergreen-ils.org/node/131 for more information
on the Governance Committee. That page redirects to
http://www.rscel.evergreen-ils.org/node/131, which doesn't resolve, so
if we manually type in http://rscel.org/node/131 we get to the minutes
of the first Governance Committee meeting. But that page doesn't lead
anywhere else. As you're already on the RSCEL site, you can then go to
"Find People->EG Committees" and find a short description of the
committee that says there isn't an official Web page but then leads to
http://rscel.org/taxonomy/term/154 for the aggregated set of posts
tagged EG_Governance_Committee. Lots of minutes there! Meanwhile, back
in the wiki a search for "governance" leads to
http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=governance:structure
which talks about a "Formal structure sub-committee" and links to
other resources around the governance effort, such as the mailing list
and various proposals for rules of governance, but which does not link
to the RSCEL information.

Seems like we have woven an even more tangled Web this year. We have a
lot of untangling to do!