[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Invoicing in Alpha 4.0

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Wed Nov 17 13:35:49 EST 2010

On 15 November 2010 10:10, Marjolein Kremer <mkr at iisg.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
> Is there a place in the Alpha 4.0 acquisitions module, were you can link the ordered titles to an invoice? In our invoice we can only see the extra charges like shipping costs and taxes adding up and not the costs of the ordered titles.

Not sure about Alpha 4.0, but in trunk, I seem to have to:

1) Create a selection list under "Acquisitions -> My Selection Lists":
let's call it "PHP" (* I _think_ that with a clean database I wasn't
able to use the "My Selection Lists" interface; if I recall correctly,
it wasn't until I did a search under the "Acquisitions -> MARC
Federated Search" interface and created a purchase order, which
implicitly creates a selection list, that I was able to use the "My
Selection Lists" interface. Would be good to get some verification of
that).

2) Use "Acquisitions -> MARC Federated Search" to search a bib source
for an item of interest. I chose "Library of Congress" and searched by
title for "PHP". That gave me a list of hits. I chose hit #10, checked
the checkbox on the left-hand side, filled in the estimated price
(75.00) on the right-hand side, and selected "Save items to selection
list" from the "Actions" drop-down menu. Then I typed "P" in the name
of the selection list box and the handy type-ahead feature filled in
the rest for me.

3) Now the "Selection list: PHP" screen is showing. I clicked on the
"Copies (0)" link to display the Copies screen for this lineitem and
filled in the values on the bottom of the screen, leaving "Collection
Code" and "Circ Modifier" blank. (The drop-down for "Circ Modifier"
wasn't showing anything, which is probably a bug to follow up on).
Then I clicked "Save Changes", followed by "Return" to get back to the
"Selection List: PHP" screen.

4) I clicked on "Actions" and selected "Mark ready for selector"
followed by "Mark ready for order", which changed the status of the
lineitems and presumably allows for other workflow steps to occur that
might not be necessary in smaller libraries. Then I clicked "Create
purchase order". It brought me to the "Purchase Order" screen, with a
total estimated of $75.00, a total encumbered of $0.00, and a total
spent of $0.00.

5) I noticed that the "Activatable?" status said "Yes" and had a link
called "Activate now", so I clicked that. (I'm not sure whether
"activate" is a term normally used in the ordering process but we have
the luxury of exploring :)). This changed the "Activatable?" status to
"No" and also updated the total encumbered to $75.00. Total spent was
still $0.00.

6) I then clicked "Create Invoice". This gave me the ability to
specify the "Provider", "Vendor Invoice ID", "Payment Method" (which I
had to set up ahead of time in "Admin -> Server Administration ->
Acquisitions -> Payment Methods"), and "Receive Method". I had to fill
out the "Invoiced", "Billed", and "Paid" amounts for each lineitem -
presumably there's an EDI workflow or Load Order Records workflow that
can do that automatically for us? I also added a new charge for Charge
Type == "Tax" in the amount of $10, drawn from the same fund. Finally,
I hit "Save and close" to close out the invoice. (Aside: I suspect
that this is where you might have missed entering the amount of the
items, if this part of acquisitions is indeed functional in Alpha 4).

7) Going off to check the fund in "Admin -> Server Administration ->
Acquisitions -> Funds", I saw that the fund had been debited by the
amount of the invoice. Clicking on the fund, I was able to drill down
to the Debits tab to see that there were two debits: one in the amount
of the item, and one for the amount of the tax.

So, it seems to work for me. I'm sure this is not the perfect
workflow, but at least in trunk I can vouch that funds + providers can
be linked to a purchase order and invoice and successfully debited.