[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Updated Evergreen web site menus

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Wed Nov 17 22:27:16 EST 2010

Hey folks:

A few days back I mentioned the events calendar that Jason and I got
going at http://evergreen-ils.org/calendar (everybody's using it now,
right?). At the time, I mentioned something about adding the calendar
to the menu in a more prominent way, by coalescing some of the related
menu entries together in a drop-down menu format.

So, as of a few minutes ago, I've done that. You'll note the new
"Communicate" entry, which groups the "Mailing list", "Chat",
"Calendar", "Official blog", and "Community blogs" entries together.
The top-level "Communicate" entry itself links to a new page that
provides the same links with a little more context; good for both
search indexes and for providing the same amount of access to the
entries in the drop-down menu for people using screen readers or
browsers with JavaScript turned off. (You might need to reload the
page to get the right results if your browser has cached the old CSS).

I also created a "Contribute" entry. The top level links to our
"Contributing" document that discusses how to, well, contribute to the
community (focusing on documentation, bug reports, and code at the
moment, but it could be more). I wanted to add a "Join a committee or
working group" link under that heading, but we don't have a single
wiki page that lists all of the Evergreen interest groups, working
groups, and committees currently that I can link to. Seems like
something that needs to be created - any volunteers?

Anyway, the menu itself is just a simple nested unordered list with a
bit of CSS and JavaScript. I took some heat in IRC for using
JavaScript at all, but a) it works (tested with Chromium, Firefox, and
IE) and b) the fall-back for non-JavaScript browsers works enough to
make me comfortable. That said, some people have said they'll try to
provide a CSS-only implementation, and I'll be happy to switch to that
if patches come along (web site is all stored in Subversion in
svn://svn.open-ils.org/ILS-Contrib/evergreen-ils.org for anyone
interested in contributing).

To be honest, the technology interests me much less than the grouping
and terminology of the menu headings. Are we emphasizing the right
things at the top level, and are we providing access to the right
things underneath those headings - and if not, is it because we just
don't have the right content, or because we've missed it entirely?

Other candidates for busting out into submenus are the Documentation
link (to provide direct links to the official docs, the wiki, and the
"How to contribute" document if we feel like repeating it?), the FAQs
(to link directly to each of the current FAQs - or move FAQs under
Documentation?), and the About Us (link to Roadmap, that mythical list
of all committees/interest/working groups).

Dan