[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Shelf Browse Filing Issue

Geoff Brown gebrown at niagaracollege.ca
Mon Nov 29 09:46:36 EST 2010

Thanks Dan,

This answers our question!

Have a good day,
Geoff Brown

On 29 November 2010 09:06, Geoff Brown <gebrown at niagaracollege.ca> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We were wondering if anyone is having issues with the shelf browser feature incorrectly filing call numbers. Is this something that is inherent to Evergreen 1.6.1.2 or is there a fix that can be applied?

This is inherent to Evergreen 1.6, it's a very basic sort algorithm
that doesn't understand Dewey vs LC vs. CODOC, etc.

In 2.0, I added "call number classification schemes" that can be
configured at the level of a library to generate a sort key
appropriate for the classification scheme in use; it comes with LC,
Dewey, and generic schemes. See
http://coffeecode.net/archives/230-Classification-scheme-aware-call-number-sorting-in-Evergreen.html
for the details; since that post, I've added the library setting and
the field/subfield combinations.

The call number classification is actually stored at the call number
level, so further work could be done to provide a user interface that
allows an override of the classification scheme when each call number
is assigned, rather than just accepting the library-assigned default
scheme.