[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Draft rules of governance for Evergreen Software Foundation - for discussion

Joe Atzberger jatzberger at esilibrary.com
Thu Oct 7 14:17:47 EDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 1:05 PM, Lori Bowen Ayre <lori.ayre at galecia.com>wrote:

> I think we didn't nail this down because we don't feel nailed down about
> it!
>
> The question is: should a library be able to be a voting member (one vote)
> if the extent of their contribution to the community is simply to use the
> Evergreen system being run by their consortium.

My sense is, yes.  They have a legitimate stake in the project.  And it
won't be as if most institutions that are concerned enough to exercise their
vote will stay otherwise uninvolved with the project.  The Koha community
has several prominent examples of people who started as "just users" and end
up as regular contributors.

Also it is important to note that the Foundation really will *not* govern
development, in terms of technical choices or overall direction.  So the
potential for it to turn into a User Group Wishlist/Gripefest should be
limited.  It should be allowed to focus on long term issues.  That makes the
question of a User Group is somewhat separate, I think.  Unless there are
some resources pooled for it, I don't see any reason to formalize
UserGroupness now, and at least until after the Foundation is established.

--joe

Here's a thought...do we need a non-voting organizational membership