[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Trying to do a batch import with overlay

Judy Daniluk jdaniluk at ntrls.org
Wed Oct 13 11:15:09 EDT 2010

We are trying to use MARC Batch Import in the 1.6.0.2 staff client to update
a large set of bib records, but we can't manage to make it overlay as a
batch; it brings in the imported records as duplicates unless we handle each
record individually.

We previously exported these records and sent them to OCLC to add holdings
to Worldcat.  OCLC returned to us an exact copy of the original records with
the OCLC control number added in 035.  Now we need to import the OCLC
output, have them match to the original records using the Evergreen
identifier in 901$c, and overlay on top of the original records so that our
database will include the OCLC control number.

We loaded a file of records into an import queue.  When we inspect the queue
we can see that the records find matches on 901$c.  By drilling down into
the 'match' display for each individual record we can select the 'overlay'
checkbox and force one record at a time to overlay, but we have 8000 records
to work with, and this is a small batch compared to what we might be
handling in the future.

Is there a way to make the batch import do a batch overlay?

Judy Daniluk

Technology Consultant,  North Texas Library Partners

6320 Southwest Blvd., Suite 101, Fort Worth, TX 76109

jdaniluk at ntrls.org     817-201-6778 (cell)     817-377-4440 (office)
www.ntrls.org