[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Acquisitions and Invoices

Joe Atzberger jatzberger at esilibrary.com
Wed Oct 13 17:33:19 EDT 2010

> We have 2.0 Alpha 1 loaded and I don't see any way to load electronic
> invoices and can't seem to finid any details on this.  Is this something
> that will be available at some point?

We might have some terminological confusion over the term "invoice".  The
EDIFACT message type "INVOIC" is not currently processed in any version of
EG.

Most EDI features are only a few weeks old, so Alpha1 (Aug 23rd) may be too
old a release for many purposes.  The newest one right now is Alpha4.  The
currently used message types are:

   - ORDERS: purchase order, from EG
   - ORDRSP: purchase order response, from vendor

Yet to be implemented:

   - OSTENQ: order status enquiry, from EG
   - OSTRPT: order status report (an update), from vendor
   - INVOIC: invoice

INVOIC, OSTRPT and ORDRSP are similar, and I think ORDRSP probably provides
the information you are asking about currently.

Also, if it is available, will you be able to receive all items if you load
> the invoices?

When ORDRSP or OSTRPT files are loaded, they are used to update
order/lineitem status, expected delivery date and price.  No EDI is
necessary to receive items individually or as part of a whole PO.  So, to
answer your question, yes you are able to receive all PO items, whether
INVOIC processing is available or not.

As I understand it, the workflow of "load this file to tell you what you
received" is unsupported by design.  At some point an operator needs to tell
the system what items actually arrived in the real world, and not just what
the machines say arrived.  For EG, we expect that reality check to happen as
items are received.  Afterwards, we don't care if an electronic file says
otherwise, we *know* we received a given item (or that we didn't).

We will be looking to update price info from an INVOIC when we do process
those files.  However, I'm not sure what we will do, if anything, with
account balance information that may appear in the same message.  I'll have
to decide when I get to that part.

I hope that answers a few questions.

--Joe Atzberger
Equinox Software, Inc.