[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] downloadable materials limited to patrons of participating libraries

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Thu Oct 21 17:05:22 EDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 03:08:59PM -0500, Judy Daniluk wrote:
> Three of the 14 libraries in our consortium offer downloadable materials
> from Overdrive.  They are interested in importing MARC records to show these
> items in the OPAC.  This is a problem because patrons from all the libraries
> will see the items in the OPAC, but only patrons from the participating
> libraries can access them.
>
> Has anybody come up with a satisfying solution to a scenario like this?
>  Someone suggested a notice on the front page of the  OPAC saying that
> downloadables are available to patrons from libraries that participate in
> the service.  Any other ideas?

I'm a big fan of the 856 $9 subfield approach, per
http://markmail.org/message/3olbtzkxrr6y3sfy - we use that because we
have three libraries that use different proxies to offer access to
different sets of electronic resources. Potential for total chaos that
856 $9 prevents nicely.

Assuming the search is scoped to your patron's library / level of the
library hierarchy, then only those resources within your patron's scope
will be displayed.

If your search scope is the whole consortium, though, this approach
won't help very much.