[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Holding Maintenance - Problems after books batch uploading

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Mon Sep 6 03:48:00 EDT 2010

Hi Dmitri:

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 3:49 AM, Dimitri Gogelia
<dimitri.gogelia at isystemsinstitute.org> wrote:
> Hi Everybody!
> I have a some strange problem and I couldn't found answer.
> In our library we are using MARC Batch Import/Export Command to upload many
> books.

What version of Evergreen are you using? Recent versions have the
ability to set a "holdings profile" in the MARC Batch Import/Export
interface that pulls information from a specific MARC field (say, the
852) to automatically generate call numbers and copies for books in a
given copy location as part of the import process.

Also note that when you manually add a copy to a MARC record, the
default status of that copy is "In process", which isn't visible to
patrons. You either have to check-in that copy or change the status
manually (Edit item attributes) to a status that is visible in the
public catalogue, such as "Available".

> The command is executed perfectly, but after that, patrons do not see books
> in circulation.
> If I enter a book manual, I can make holding maintenance manual, but for a
> single book. How do I do this for all batch uploaded books?

If you don't want to add a copy for every book, either manually or as
part of the holdings profile, you can make the records have a
bibliographic source that is "transcendent" and that will make them
show up in search results without copies or call numbers. See
http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=evergreen-admin:importing:bibrecords#making_electronic_resources_visible_in_the_catalogue
for an example of how to do this from the database.

Aside: As part of the work I did for UPEI in the last few weeks, I
fixed the bug that prevented the "Bibliographic source" selection
widget in MARC Batch Import from having any effect, and also taught
the MARC editor how to modify the bibliographic source for a given
record. The fix and new MARC editor functionality will be available in
the next 2.0 alpha release. The MARC Batch import fix will be in the
next 1.6.1.x release after 1.6.1.2, and the new MARC editor
functionality will also be available if a 1.6.2.x release ever
happens.

--
Dan Scott
Laurentian University