[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Holds Aging

Hardy, Elaine ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Wed Sep 8 12:44:49 EDT 2010

PINES libraries use age protection for print materials and are happy with it. Any materials new to a library are given the 3 or 6 month protection status to keep their new materials in the branch (3 months) and system (6 months). Not all libraries need to use the 3 months protection status. It is generally used by multi-county systems where purchasing is handled by the individual county or branch. This keeps the new item in the branch that purchased it for 3 months, then it goes to the system for 6 months then allows holds across PINES after the 6 month mark.

It is up to the library whether or not to assign the 6 month status to an individual item. The State Library does not use it at all and most libraries don't use it on replacement copies. Some use it for older titles new to the library and some do not.

While staff is relatively happy with age protection, many PINES patrons are not. They of course want to have immediate access to new materials that their system has not purchased.

Since the PINES consortium does not allow holds on AV materials outside the home system of the patron, libraries typically only use the age protection on print materials. However, some libraries may use the 3 month protection to keep AV in the purchasing branch or county before it is circulated to the other system libraries.

Elaine

J. Elaine Hardy
PINES Bibliographic Projects & Metadata Manager
Georgia Public Library Service
1800 Century Place, Ste 150
Atlanta, Ga. 30345-4304

404.235-7128