[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] sub libraries

Jason Etheridge jason at esilibrary.com
Thu Sep 9 10:44:02 EDT 2010

> Now, in a consortium like PINES, the majority of the tree is 3 levels
> deep: CONSORTIUM, SYSTEM, BRANCH, with Branch representing the
> physical buildings.  For political Systems with just one building,
> they'll have one Branch.  They may duplicate their library shortname
> and have things like IISH for the system, and IISH-IISH for the
> branch.

I hit Send a little too soon.

Looking at your website, it seems as if everything is one big
building.  Separating political and physical org units may be overkill
if you don't expect to expand geographically.

So I'd be tempted to take the org unit type Institute that we defined,
and allow it to have volumes and users, and stop there.

So  Consortium -> IISH, NEHA, etc.

Just a 2-tier hierarchy.  Reasons to sub-divide further may include
having further options for defining circulation and hold behavior for
the sub-divisions, or presenting more fine grained groupings to
patrons as part of the library selector drop-down.  But as Mike
mentioned earlier, there's a disadvantage in that Evergreen will
create/enforce transits between distinct Can Have Volumes org units.

--
Jason Etheridge