[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] ***SPAM*** Re: bib and copy batches, WAS Is there a resource for initial setup

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Sat Sep 11 10:46:45 EDT 2010

Hi Vicki:

On 11 September 2010 08:25, Vicki Reeves <vickir at beau.org> wrote:
> Thank you.  I think this is what I needed.

I should note that this (the MARC Batch Import/Export tool) probably
isn't what you want for a full migration.

As Jason Stephenson suggested over in a different thread, there are
various sets of bulk migration tools to help with all of the
complexities of migration, including importing patron data,
transactions (such as who currently has a given item checked out, or
has placed a hold, or owes fines), etc.

http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=evergreen-admin:importing:bibrecords
covers the old but reliable way of importing bib records using the
tools in  Open-ILS/src/extras/import/ (marc2bre.pl | direct_ingest |
parallel_pg_loader), but gets handwavy over the way to get holdings
into the system. I wouldn't recommend the example import tool that was
in the wiki that iterated slowly over MARCXML records to extract
holdings information, as I don't think it has been tested for ages (in
fact, I just ripped it out of the wiki - if somebody wants to take
over responsibility for it, I'll gladly add them to the ILS-Contrib
SVN repo).

I updated that wiki page to point to the import tools that Project
Conifer built based upon Mike's "staging table" approach to importing
data; these also include support for patron data and transactions. Of
course, we built them for importing data in a very specific fashion
and we only needed to migrate once, so they will undoubtedly have to
be massaged to work for your needs.

I also updated that wiki page to point to the Equinox set of
data-munging tools; thanks to Jason for the link, because I couldn't
for the life of me find it via Google or wiki searches. It looks like
the Equinox tools are primarily focused on holdings information - a
far better implementation than the really-old / now-deprecated script
that I had written.

Hopefully getting these links together on the same wiki page will help
guide future people in the right direction. One of the fun parts of
development distributed over numerous repositories is keeping a handle
on where all of the useful resources are!