[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Issue with OPAC display on Firefox

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Thu Sep 16 15:15:35 EDT 2010

On 16 September 2010 12:28, Geoff Brown <gebrown at niagaracollege.ca> wrote:
> Our user sees a completely blank screen.

There are some weird things about your OPAC on Firefox. For one, I've
noticed that the list of relevant subjects / authors / series on the
left-hand side is often quadrupled (or more). I don't see the same
problem on Chromium.

What version of Evergreen are you running? It looks like
1.6.1.something. Have you made any customizations to any of the
JavaScript?

I've also noticed that you have Dojo 1.3.2 installed; Dojo 1.3.3 has
been out since March and I would recommend upgrading to that - it's
what we run at Conifer, and it's a pure bug-fix release over and above
1.3.2 (which came out 9 months prior to 1.3.3).

When I poked at your OPAC, your added content seems to take an awfully
long time to return, sometimes resulting in a 503 - what added content
provider are you using? (This happens both in Firefox and in
Chromium). I also see extremely long connections to books.google.com
in the search results (also happens in Firefox and Chromium). Both of
these might be red herrings based on the respective service at the
time I was looking at your OPAC. You might want to turn off the
"Browse in Google Books" option on result_common.js (set 'var
googleBooksLink = false;') to see if that changes the behaviour at
all.

Ah - here's one of the requests that times out, apparently when an
item doesn't have an ISBN:
http://evergreen.niagaracollege.ca/opac/extras/ac/jacket/small/

Compare with the behaviour of our system:
http://laurentian.concat.ca/opac/extras/ac/jacket/small/

Perhaps Apache needs to be configured to return a transparent 1x1
image when that URI gets hit (normally there would be an ISBN at the
end of that URI). Our Apache eg_vhost.conf reads:

# Replace broken cover images with a transparent GIF by default
RewriteEngine ON
RewriteRule ^/opac/extras/ac/jacket/(small|medium|large)/$ \
    /opac/images/blank.png [P,L]

Then again, none of this might help the specific problem you reported.
Still, some areas to look into!