[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Merging with on-order records

James Wagner wagner at lincoln.library.on.ca
Mon Sep 20 12:30:46 EDT 2010

Our supplier provides us with on-order stub records for our system. This
allows patrons to put holds on items which have not yet arrived. Then
when the items arrive we download and import the full marc records. In
our previous system, when we did this, the stub records were
automaticaly merged into the new, full record. This does seem to be what
happens in Evergreen. Currently, we choose "Auto-Import Non-Colliding
Records". This leaves us with those full records for which stubs exist.
We then force Evegreen to import thses records. Now we have two records
in the system. So we bring them up, send them to a bucket, and merge
them (see Sitka Evergreen Training Manual, Chp. 20). If we have a
hundred items arrive on the courier, we have to do this for each and
every item. Is there a faster way? Should we change our workflow
completely? Should we not use stub records, but instead ask our supplier
for complete records? Any suggestions?

James Wagner
Technical Services Co-ordinator
Lincoln Public Library