[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] RFQ - Hardware Specs

Sue Hopkins shopkins at cwmars.org
Tue Sep 28 08:57:29 EDT 2010

RFQ - C/W MARS Request for Hardware Specification Consulting for the
Evergreen ILS- Issued September 28, 2010

C/W MARS, an automated library consortium of 150 libraries located in
Central and Western Massachusetts, is seeking consulting assistance to
develop specifications for server hardware to run the Evergreen ILS
system.

Background information:

C/W MARS currently runs the Innovative Interfaces Millennium system,
which is spread out over two large Sun V890 production servers with an
InnReach server (Sun V240) used for patron requests between the Central
and Western servers.  There are 1,293,996 Bib records, 4,231,227 item
records, and 535,890 patron records on the CMARS server; 1,357,328 bib
records, 4,475,968 item records, and 498,991 patron records on the WMARS
server.

We intend to merge the two production servers into a single database on
Evergreen.  The InnReach server currently has 1,938,303 unique
bibliographic records, which is the approximate number of unique bib
records we anticipate in our deduped, merged database.  Also included
will be approximately 9M item records and 1.1M patron records.  In FY10
C/W MARS libraries did approximately 11M Circulations and 1.4M holds on
the III system.

C/W MARS currently has approximately 125 circulating libraries and 25
Online Affiliate Libraries.  We anticipate most of the affiliate
libraries will upgrade to circulating status over the next few years,
with the requisite increase in circulation, location and other codes and
parameters.

C/W MARS wants a server configuration with plenty of room for growth and
room for one or more full test databases.  We expect the servers to
provide maximum specific response times for functions in the daily
operations of our member libraries and seek advice on server hardware
for an optimal configuration that will provide robust response time, a
separate reports server, and a spare database server.

Work Start and Completion Dates:

C/W MARS anticipates this consulting will take place remotely by phone,
conference calls, or other electronic communication.  We would like to
the work to begin as soon as possible after the bid is awarded on
October 19, 2010 and to be completed by November 19, 2010.  The finished
product will consist of a written report with specifications on the
number, size, and components of servers recommended, with sufficient
detail to solicit quotes from hardware vendors.

How to Respond:

Please respond to jkuklins at cwmars.org with the number of hours estimated
and cost per hour for this consulting as well as a brief statement on
qualifications on or before 3:00 p.m. on Monday, October 18, 2010.
Questions may be emailed to shopkins at cwmars.org on or before 3:00 p.m.
on Thursday, October 7, 2010 and responses will be posted on the
Evergreen listserv as they are available, but no later than 3:00 p.m. on
Friday, October 8, 2010.

Sue Hopkins

Systems & Networking Manager

C/W MARS, Inc.