[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] MARC for electronic resources

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Wed Sep 29 10:14:53 EDT 2010

Hi Mary:

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 10:02:29AM -0400, Mary Llewellyn wrote:
> Ah, that's disappointing. The display of multiple 856s will be ugly
> and confusing to the library patrons.

I think you might be a bit confused.  If your record details template
(or search results summary page) is set up to show all 856 fields, then
yes, of course they will all be displayed, leading to confusion
particularly for patrons who need to use a particular proxy to access an
electronic resource.

This problem is precisely why Conifer paid to have the "located URI"
support added to Evergreen - to have search results show only records
that are accessible to a patron (as defined by the patron's search
scope), and to avoid showing every 856 under the sun.

The way we have set up our templates, only the URLs in the search
scope of the patron will be displayed. We use BibTemplate to pull the
'volume uris' path out of the marcxml-full or marcxml-uris variations of
the BibTemplate data type request and display them.

See http://ur1.ca/1u0i4 for an example search; it shows only the
Laurentian-proxied 856 in the search result and in the record detail
display, even though if you check the MARC record you will find that
there are 856 fields for Laurentian, Algoma, and Windsor. Change your
search scope, and you'll see the appropriate 856s.

Dan