[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] MARC for electronic resources

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Thu Sep 30 09:29:01 EDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 09:34:19AM -0300, Melissa Belvadi wrote:

> I recommend you seriously consider using the "source" option that Dan
> listed.
> To give you more detail, every bib record has attached to it a field
> called the "source".
> There's a table that lists all of the possible sources (you can add
> more as needed), and for each one, whether it is "transcendent" or not.
>
> Transcendent simply means that the record will be visible in the OPAC
> without any items attached and even if you haven't added anything extra
> to the 856.
> So, for instance, for our ebooks, we have a special "source" which is
> set to transcendent, and when we add ebook records, we change the source
> from the default to this other source.
> I just find this a cleaner option from a cataloguing perspective than
> adding a subfield to the 856.

Right - the transcendent source approach works well as long as every
library in a consortial install of Evergreen has equal access to the
described resource. One could use two different approaches at the same
time, really: use transcendent sources for publicly available electronic
resources (such as government publications), and use the 856 $9 approach
for electronic resources that are licensed per-library or per-system
within the consortium to avoid making resources that are not accessible
to other libraries from being visible to patrons of those libraries.

> Very recently, we (UPEI) had the wonderful Dan Scott add two things to
> make this much easier - the ability to modify the source in the staff
> client on a per-record basis, and a fix to the Vandeley (Batch import)
> so that the "source" pulldown there actually worked.
>
> Dan, is that code out there for Mary to use in her system yet?

Melissa, all of the code is in trunk / 2.0, of course, so it's already
visible in the Evergreen 2.0 alpha 3 release.

For these particular pieces, I committed the fix for setting the bib
record source in MARC Batch Import/Export to the rel_1_6_1 branch in
http://svn.open-ils.org/trac/ILS/changeset/17493/branches/rel_1_6_1 but
there has not yet been another 1.6.1.x release to get the fix into an
official release.

I committed the bib source editor in the MARC Editor to the rel_1_6
branch in
http://svn.open-ils.org/trac/ILS/changeset/17402/branches/rel_1_6 - it
looks like this could be relatively easily backported to rel_1_6_1 as
well, but as a new feature instead of a pure fix, it really shouldn't
be pulled into a 1.6.1.x release, but should wait for a 1.6.2.x release.

Dan