[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen support on Gentoo, Red Hat EL 5 / 6, and other distros

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Fri Aug 12 18:44:01 EDT 2011

Hi,

On 8/12/2011 10:15 AM, Dan Scott wrote:
> I can't encourage the use of Gentoo, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Arch, or
> other distros at the moment simply because we have no active maintainers
> of those distributions. I know there are sites using RHEL, but on a day
> to day basis I don't know of anyone regularly installing and testing
> Evergreen master (or even stable Evergreen releases) on RHEL, and thus
> there is no assurance that the path to a working Evergreen install on
> one of these distributions does not involve multiple undocumented steps.

It is true that RHEL is not at present one of the commonly used
platforms for Evergreen.  However, Equinox does support libraries that
use it, we have ongoing contractual commitments to support that
platform, and Equinox staff have contributed patches accordingly.
Consequently, our hat is in the ring for ongoing work to maintain RHEL
support, although admittedly RHEL-specific patches may lag .0 releases a
bit depending on the upgrade schedules of our RHEL customers.

Of course, I echo Dan's call for all folks interesting in maintaining
support for various distros, including RHEL, to step forward and pitch in.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton