[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] does the software support unicode searches?

Anoop Atre anoop.atre at mnsu.edu
Thu Dec 8 15:10:50 EST 2011

Nancy
Since we are on the Evergreen list I'd probably have stuck to answering
your initial question. We do want more folks trying out Evergreen : )

In any case as has been pointed out both Evergreen and Koha are capable
of fulfilling your needs. I don't have much experience with openbiblio
so can't speak to that solution.

On 12/07/2011 11:21 PM, smurfett at gmail.com wrote:
> But I'm trying to find out how much these software support other
> languages, in searches, cataloging, pulling down data from z39.30
> servers from other countries, and webopac interfaces.

Evergreen and Koha match well and completely support the requirements
you mention above, Koha has a few more languages with different degrees
of completion [ http://translate.koha-community.org/ ]. Evergreen
currently has translations for Armenian, Czech, English (Canada),
English (US), French (Canada), Russian, and Spanish. Chinese as Dan/Ben
mentioned has been previously available and needs updating/inclusion
into the current releases. I'm sure you'd love to see your name listed
as the contributor who finished the Evergreen Chinese translation : )

I'd say you should give Evergreen a try and also check out the other
options, there are robust & helpful communities for each of them who can
help you along. As someone who is comfortable with Linux you will be
fine getting started. I'd begin with the demos but getting your hands
dirty and installing Evergreen (2.1 or latest) would give you the best
feel for the system as I'm sure you would have guessed.

There is an older virtual machine Dan Scott setup which you could
download and give a try if you want an easier path to testing it locally
and even try upgrading to 2.1 [
http://evergreen-ils.org/downloads.php#evergreen_vm ]. Here is some
sample data Mike Peters made available [
http://help.evergreen.lib.in.us/generate-demodata.tar.gz ] and
instructions to load them into the database   [
http://paste.lisp.org/display/124819 ].

Lately installing Evergreen has gotten easier but definitely needs an
understanding of Linux, right now most of us run it on Debian Squeeze or
Ubuntu Lucid. Installing Koha from scratch is about the same complexity,
of course it is available as a Debian package which helps quite a bit.
We have been trying to get Evergreen packaged into Debian and made some
headway over this past summer but not there yet. Setting up the library
specific rules is where Koha gets to be a bit more straight forward as I
understand, I have not looked into that much so this is based on what
I've heard from others.

As for comparing the systems, I should mention that the website Ian
mentioned lists an older version of Evergreen also...we are at 2.1 and
2.2 is being worked on currently. It's hard to really keep up
comparisons between fast moving open source systems on a minute level,
but if you want a big picture comparison the website does a decent job.
Also I'd say just because Koha is used more than Evergreen in the
non-western world doesn't make it the first choice, just means Koha has
been around longer and being the first open source library management
system certainly gave it a wider market adoption.

Hope this helps and I didn't ramble on too much!

Cheers

--

Anoop Atre
IS Developer & Integrator, PALS