[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] straw poll, call numbers in check-in screen

Jason Etheridge jason at esilibrary.com
Wed Dec 14 12:35:01 EST 2011

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 12:25 PM, Jason Boyer <jasonb at myjclibrary.org> wrote:
> Is everything in the column picker retrieved, even if it's not currently
> displayed?

In this case, since rows are inserted at the top of the list, they all
get fleshed and retrieved.  And there's no standard mechanism for per
column retrieval based on column visibility.

> If so, the long term solution may be to only request from the
> server what will actually be shown (or the smallest superset necessary) and
> only retrieve things like call numbers when they're requested.

I think that's where we're heading, long term--not sending large
objects across the wire unless we really need them.

I'll work up a branch restoring the call number (and prefix and suffix).

Thanks folks!

--
Jason Etheridge