[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Loader overlay definitions: the light dawns

Mary Llewellyn mllewell at biblio.org
Wed Dec 14 12:47:54 EST 2011

Hi all,

I've been working on (struggling with) our loader overlay definitions for a
while now, and today I had an epiphany. I thought I'd share it in case
there's someone else out there who has been having trouble, too.

I finally get it about when to preserve a tag, and when to add it. It helps
me to think add = append.

Preserve: Use for tags that you want to protect that will never be in an
incoming bib record. Best for locally defined tags such as 449 (defined
"bestsellers" in Horizon; we used it for things such as "Oprah's Book
Club"), 590, 690. Also include tag 901.

Add: Use for tags that may or may not be already in the existing bib record.
Examples: 020 ISBN, 586 awards note, 521 audience/reading level note. If
such a tag is already in the bib record, and the incoming bib contains the
same tag but different text, the existing tag is kept and the new tag is
added.

Don't list the same tags in both Preserve and Add.

I'm attaching a screen shot of our definitions. I hope this helps someone,
and that I'm not the only one who didn't know this.  :-)

Mary

Mary Llewellyn
Database Manager
Bibliomation, Inc.