[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Can you answer these questions three?

Ben Shum bshum at biblio.org
Tue Feb 8 19:55:31 EST 2011

Hi Rebecca,

I'll make an attempt at trying to explain how the circ/hold behavior
might work.  You asked: "I guess what my question is whether or not it's
possible to limit holds by age while not limiting circulation (i.e.
adults can take out material with a collection code of JFIC, but they
can't put holds on it)"

In Evergreen, circ/hold behavior is defined using circulation modifiers
(circ mods, for short).  "Collection code" sounds like it would roughly
translate to an Evergreen copy location (which acts more like a label
defining its place in the library and doesn't fully control the behavior
of an item).  Each patron group would be a "permission group".  In more
recent versions of Evergreen, circ/hold behavior is setup using policy
editors (found in Admin --> Local Administration --> Circulation Policy
Editor  Hold Policies Editor) that relate to tables in your Evergreen
database.  If you were to create two different circ mods for your
collection, one for adult material and another for children, you can
define different policies per circ mod per permission group.

So for example, you had a circ mod of "abook" for adult material, vs.
"jbook" for children, you could write your circ policies this:

For the "adult" permission group, allow circulation of "abook" items.
For the "adult" permission group, allow circulation of "jbook" items.
For the "child" permission group, allow circulation of "jbook" items.
For the "child" permission group, do NOT allow circulation of "abook" items.

Then for the holds, you could define that:

The "adult" permission group is allowed to place holds against items
with a circ mod of "abook".
The "adult" permission group is NOT allowed to place holds against items
with a circ mod of "jbook".
The "child" permission group is allowed to place holds against items
with a circ mod of "jbook".
The "child" permission group is NOT allowed to place holds against items
with a circ mod of "abook".

Using different circ mods, you can create many items for the same bib
record in this fashion, but use the circ/hold policies to define
different behavior for the items even though they may hang off the same
record.

I hope that helps a little, please feel free to ask more specifics about
this to the general list and we'll do our best to answer.

I'll leave your first two questions to those that may have more
experience in explaining those areas.

Cheers and happy migration!

-- Ben

--