[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] FW: MassLNC development interests

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Tue Feb 22 13:34:07 EST 2011

Thanks for the feedback!

It sounds like you are probably dealing with a large number of targets. I
don't know if the MassLNC consortia will be utilizing that many targets, but
I may be surprised once they go live. I was giving a lot of thought to your
idea of "allowing the targets to be selected at group (like library
selector) or arbitrary individual level." Are you saying it could be similar
to other things in Evergreen where targets set at the consortium level are
available for use by all other org units, while those set by the individual
library are only available at those libraries? I could see where that would
be useful in some consortium and would add flexibility to the system. As I
was thinking it through, though, I realized MassLNC is looking for something
that almost does the opposite - most targets set up for the consortium would
be available for use just by staff working at the consortium, whereas the
individual libraries would have a much more limited set of targets.

Part of the reason we are considering this functionality is to address some
concerns with quality control. The consortia participating in the MassLNC
project have been doing centralized cataloging for a number of years, and,
for the most part, consortia staff are the only ones importing bibliographic
records into their systems. When we looked at the Z39.50 import, we saw an
opportunity for opening up this ability to library staff, possibly saving
some time in their workflow. However, the consortia that are interested in
allowing library staff to import records would probably feel more
comfortable doing so if they only had access to a limited set of targets.

Thanks George!

Kathy

Kathy Lussier
Project Coordinator