[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen: supported releases policy (request for feedback)

Soulliere, Robert robert.soulliere at mohawkcollege.ca
Tue Jan 4 14:21:09 EST 2011

Hi All,

I strongly agree with this supported releases policy and I think that the downloads page needs to reflect this policy so that the current releases are listed and understood to be the ones users should install.

This policy will make life easier for developers the documentation team and users.

I had one question regarding naming conventions and releases of non-publicized releases (e.g. 1.6.2.0). Could we have a naming convention for unofficial/untested/temporary releases. I think I understand as to how and why 1.6.2.0 came about but remains in unofficial territory, but I wonder if we  could add a code to its label/version to indicate that it is unofficial? I understand that it can be kept in the closet and unadvertised, but I am left with a bit uneasiness in its label. From a casual user or outsider, 1.6.2.0 sound like a nice upgrade to 1.6.1.5. Could it be labelled with something like 1.6.2.0_NR to indicate that it is a non-release? The code could be something else such as "SR" for special release, "UR" for unofficial release, etc.., but alpha characters after the version number might help to raise red flags for users that this is outside of the upgrade cycle or that upgrading is "at your own risk". This could work the same way alpha, beta, and RC labels work to let uses know that it might not be ready for a live environment.

I also agree with the point that user who want future enhancements should be looking at the Evergreen 2.x series and that developer time should be invested in the 2.x or latest releases and not invested in back porting new features for old versions. I understand that certain circumstances may force new features to appear in older version releases, but should be avoided if at all possible. It just seems like a practice that will make development a bit less complicated.

Thanks,
Robert

Robert Soulliere, BA (Hons), MLIS
Systems Librarian