[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Serials in 2.0: anyone working on import script for existing MFHD records

Jonathan Rochkind jonathan at dnil.net
Thu Jan 6 18:44:03 EST 2011

I don't know what you guys are working on and am sure it
(appropriately) needs to meet your own local requirements. But I
figured I'd throw out the major thing that frustrates me with my
existing ILS 'holdings' and is appropriate especially if you are
making the actual internal data model more powerful than MFHD:

I'd REALLY like to be able to have software ask my ILS "do you have
this PARTICULAR volume and issue of this serial, and if so, what
holding [with location, call number, status, etc] includes it."  Can't
do that with my ILS.

Probably matters a lot more for academic libraries than public
libraries, which in my experience don't usually have much print serial
backfiles.  But for academic libraries it's kind of huge, it
frustrates me that if a user comes to my interface wanting a
particular volume/issue/page number of a serial (and that's usually
what you're going to want, as an academic user), my interface is
incapable of directing her to it or telling her conclusively that we
don't have it, but instead has to give her a long list of
inconsistently formatted 'holdings statements' and make her try to
sort it out for herself.