[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Batch receiving in 2.0 beta 5

Lebbeous Fogle-Weekley lebbeous at esilibrary.com
Tue Jan 11 09:54:07 EST 2011

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 15:28:07 +0100, Marjolein Kremer <mkr at iisg.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We created  a serial subscription in the Alternate Serial Control
> interface. Our subscription starts with vol.1, nr.1.
> We received some issues using Batch receiving. The first issue that the
> system receives is vol.1, nr. 2. The system created a MFHD and copy
> information. We tried to edit the MFHD record to add no.1, but we could
not
> enter the MFHD record. We got the following error message:
> FIXME[...] : create MFHD failed.

Hello Marjolein,

I'm guessing what happened is that vol.1, nr.1 is the issue that you
manually entered as a subscription starting point, and vol.1, nr.2 is the
first issue that the system generated through prediction?  If this is true,
you'll want to delete all the issues you just generated and try again with
a dummy issue set up as "vol.0., nr.0" and with a date that precedes the
first "real" issue you want.  Even though "vol.0, nr.0" isn't valid, the
system should generate all the valid issues after that, and then once
generation has succeeded, you can delete the bogus "nr.0" issue.  Only the
system-generated issues will have receivable items associated with them.

The above may sound crazy, but it stems from the fact that the system will
try to predict issues *starting after* the last issue present in the
system, and this behavior should seem more natural when you're predicting a
new run of issues on a subscription that already has a few issues in the
system.  In a case like that, no dummy issues are needed and the system can
just start predicting where it should.

There is code in trunk that will give users other ways to deal with issues
that they want to add missing or extra items to, but those features are so
new that they probably won't be released in 2.0.

The Create/Edit MFHD menu items are legacy serials features that are, to my
understanding, not directly related to controlled serials, so they won't
help.

Hope this helps!

--
Lebbeous