[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Importing holdings data

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Thu Jan 13 18:33:45 EST 2011

On Thu, 2011-01-13 at 15:39 -0500, Dan Wells wrote:

> The trickiest part is probably getting the proper
> biblio.record_entry_id values for each item being imported.  We had
> the somewhat clever idea of hard-coding biblio.record_entry_id values
> to be identical to the internal ids of our old system (not to be
> confused with TCNs, in this case), and that made importing holdings
> and circ data much simpler.

Another question.  Why a record id and a tcn?  I'm probably missing
something rather obvious here.

Also, having a more serious look at the biblio.record_entry I see some
things I don't quite understand.

fingerprint: Eh?  So how would I generate this?
tcn_source and tcn_value:  Value isn't a numeric field so what goes
there?
last_xact_id: A fresh db has one entry in the table with "FOO" in this
field.

asset.copy also has a few murky fields.

id, call_number, copy_number?  How do these numbers relate?  Assume
call_number is the tie to the call_number table so what does that leave
for copy_number?  Which still leaves the question of exactly what
purpose does the call_number table even serve since it appears to
duplicate information in the copy table.

dummy_title and dummy_author are a mystery.