[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Finding stories about similar Evergreen libraries (was: Question)

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Wed Jan 19 16:24:44 EST 2011

On 19 January 2011 15:32, Lori Bowen Ayre <lori.ayre at galecia.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
> On our RSCEL website (http://rscel.evergree-ils.org), we've created the
> start of what we hope will become a more extensive Evergreen directory where
> you can find other libraries much like you own.
> See:  http://rscel.evergreen-ils.org/evergreen/about/projects

<snip>

> And as I said, eventually we
> hope this little Drupal app will transition into a more full-featured
> database that we can all use to help find each other and will live on the
> main Evergreen website.  And it will be faster!

There's a lot to be said, too, for the kind of community welcome that
people like Georgette receive when they post to the mailing list - and
to have success stories like Andy's pop up in response is awesome! I'm
not arguing against either the directory or the list of Evergreen
libraries, but I hope future people continue to feel encouraged to
come forward and share their questions and experiences.

As an aside, perhaps we could steal a page from umpteen zillion
commercial product / other open source project sites and have a
rotating set of "success stories" that provide insight into different
aspects of the Evergreen community right on the evergreen-ils.org home
page (illustrating those "over 544 libraries of every type"). See the
quotes and "Your Life on Fedora" section on the home page of
http://fedoraproject.org/ for an example. We just need some volunteers
to provide their stories, some volunteers to craft the quotes and
stories, and some design love if we want to do it.