[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Need help with asset.copy.transparancy

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Thu Jan 20 04:48:11 EST 2011

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 11:21:57PM -0600, Vicki Reeves wrote:
> We're trying to load our records into Evergreen 1.6.0.8.  The patron
> records go in just fine but we're having major issues getting our bib
> and holdings records to load.  When we dump our MARC records through
> mangle_marc.pl it looks like we have good records coming out.  The

Hmm, I'm not familiar with mangle_marc.pl.

> records appear to go in but then we can't find any of the records in
> Evergreen.

This is a common problem. See
https://answers.launchpad.net/evergreen/+question/86623 for one attempt
to diagnose it. From the OPAC, it could be caused by anything from not having call
numbers and copies attached to the bib records, or being attached but
not in opac-visible copy locations / libraries / statuses. From the
staff client, records should generally be retrievable once they've been
imported; if they're not visible, then it's likely that the import went
wrong.

> We're thinking that if anyone could explain asset.copy_transparancy and
> asset_copy_transparancy_map tables for us it might help.

I think Jason Etheridge answered this for you in IRC, but for the
mailing list, these tables had been intended to overlay (like a
transparency on top of paper) temporary values on a copy without
changing those copy attributes. If I recall correctly, he also said that
the tables are unused and should probably be removed from the database
schema. So.. a dead end / red herring.