[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] OPAC Renewal Circ Library

Thomas Berezansky tsbere at mvlc.org
Tue Jul 5 15:44:31 EDT 2011

Since our migration here at MVLC we have noticed that OPAC renewals
occur at the patron's home library. This caused us some problems when
patrons were given invalid home libraries (since patched).

I felt that an OPAC renewal should happen at the original circulation
library, rather than the patron's home library, for a number of reasons:

1 - A bad home library can break circ rules.
2 - An item may only be allowed to circulate out of one library. Thus,
for some items, OPAC renewal breaks if it tries to base the
circulation elsewhere.
3 - Fines and durations are based on the circulation library. If the
circulation library changes on a renewal the fine rates and durations
may change as well.

I wrote code to have OPAC renewals use the circulation library from
the previous checkout instead of the patron's home library. It is in a
branch for review, and referenced on launchpad. Only OPAC renewals are
affected. Desk/phone renewals are not.

The option can be toggled on with a global flag, as the branch stands
said flag would default to enabled.

Downsides to the change would be anything that depends on OPAC
renewals happening at the user's home library. I can think of one
thing there:

User's home library statistics for renewals go down (in favor of the
circ library, which goes up)

I think the question up for discussion here is whether the old
behavior was a bug, making the changes a bugfix that should go into
2.1 (and maybe backported further), or if the new behavior is a
feature and thus should go into 2.2+ only.

The launchpad bug is here:

The branch is here:

http://git.evergreen-ils.org/?p=working/Evergreen.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/user/tsbere@mvlc.org/opac_renewal_reuse_circ_lib

Thomas Berezansky