[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] QR Codes in Evergreen -- Living example

Soulliere, Robert robert.soulliere at mohawkcollege.ca
Thu Jul 7 09:46:10 EDT 2011

Hi All,

At Mohawk College, we implemented QR codes in our catalogue for mobile barcode scanners.

This question came up recently on the list with Joseph Lewis bringing up the possibilities:
http://libmail.georgialibraries.org/pipermail/open-ils-general/2011-June/005014.html

For an example of our implementation see:
http://libcat.mohawkcollege.ca/opac/en-CA/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=36984&t=linux&tp=keyword&d=0&hc=22&rt=keyword

This allows users with cell phones to scan the QR code and load copy location information to their mobile device (with barcode scanner). It does not require phone service on the device -- just open your barcode scanner app, point your devices camera and scan the code.

Our implementation used the Google charts api to generate the codes on the fly on a Google server. In other words, we are not storing those images on our server or creating code images for each item copy location.

For changesets to the code (Evergreen 2.0.6):
http://libdog.mohawkcollege.ca/projects/evergreen/changeset/109

For more info on QR codes:
http://brain.mohawkcollege.ca/QRCodes

I am willing to provide a patch to the code base but had a concern about whether it can be easily adapted to the future templated opac?
I wasn't sure about which version of Evergreen this would be implemented if it was added and I was not sure about the OPAC template switch time line.

The feature does have a on/off toggle in the code.

Let me know if you recommend that I submit a patch in Launchpad.

Regards,
Robert

Robert Soulliere, BA (Hons), MLIS
Systems Librarian
Mohawk College Library
robert.soulliere at mohawkcollege.ca
Telephone: 905 575 1212 x3936
Fax: 905 575 2011

This E-mail contains privileged and confidential information intended
only for the individual or entity named in the message.  If the reader
of this message is not the intended recipient, or the agent responsible
to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication
is prohibited.  If this communication was received in error, please
notify the sender by reply E-mail immediately, and delete and destroy
the original message.