[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] SIP2 Enhancements

Jason Stephenson jstephenson at mvlc.org
Thu Jul 7 10:03:23 EDT 2011

Hi, all.

I sent this message to the dev list yesterday and thought that I
should also share it with the general list.

I have been working on two branches of enhancements for SIP2 in
Evergreen, and they are ready for general testing.

The first of these two branches adds support for the fee paid message
response pair (message 37 and response 38). We are actually using an
earlier commit of this code in production on our SIP server and will
begin using the most recent revisions with our update this weekend. I
am that confident that this code is ready to go.

If you 'd like to test it, I've put the relevant details in a Launchpad bug:

The second enhancement supports what 3M calls "chargeable loans," i.e.
charging a fee at checkout. The Evergreen staff client and self check
module already support this, but not SIP2. This branch attempts to add
support for this checkout mode to SIP2 in Evergreen.

This branch has received less testing, and has not yet been tested on
an actual self check system. We will not likely get to testing this
until sometime next week with an actual self check.

The relevant details of this branch, if you'd like to test, are in
this Launchpad bug:

Of the two branches, the fee payment branch is likely the easier to
test. It requires only a recent version of the SIPServer software. The
most recent revision of the master branch at
git://git.evergreen-ils.org/SIPServer.git should do.

You can then merge or cherry-pick the SIP23738 branch into a checkout
of the Evergreen master branch. If you want to try it on rel_2_0 or
rel_2_1 instead of master, the branch does cherry-pick cleanly into
the HEAD of either  origin branch. Alternatively, you can just
checkout the SIP23738 branch and build from that, but you'll then be
missing the most recent additions in master.

The chargeable loans branch requires that you install a special branch
of the SIPServer code as mentioned in the Launchpad bug. This is
because the SIPServer code required some changes to fully support the
chargeable loans workflow as outlined by 3M.

Additionally, the chargeable loans branch depends on recent commits to
Evergreen master, so it will likely not apply to rel_2_0 or rel_2_1
unless you also cherry-pick the other necessary commits. If there is
much demand, and if it looks like there is a chance of the code then
being included in rel_2_1, I'll make a backport branch of the
chargeable loans code.

Anyway, I just thought that I'd share the above with the community
since I know many of you anticipate getting these features. I would
also like for this code to get some more wide spread testing before it
is adopted into the mainline Evergreen codebase.

Cheers,
Jason Stephenson
Merrimack Valley Library Consortium