[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Accession numbers, copy notes and diacritics in call numbers

Linda Jansova skolkova at chello.cz
Mon Jul 18 11:06:55 EDT 2011

Hi all,

Three more questions to ask:

1) In the Czech Republic, libraries usually use accession numbers for
individual copies. These are not accession numbers related to bib
records but solely to individual copies. Is it okay to insert these in
the "copy number" field in Holdings Maintenance? And if so, how can it
be inserted during import? Can the staging table
(http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=importing:holdings:import_via_staging_table)
be used for this purpose?

2) In case we wish to record how a particular copy has been aquired
(bought, received as a gift etc.), should we use "copy notes" (say with
a locally standardized copy note title distinguishable from other types
of copy notes)?

3) In case we use diacritics in call numbers, is there a way to make the
Shelf Browser show first the particular letters letters without
diacritics and then those with diacritics? E.g. to have the letter "Č"
after the letter "C" instead of somewhere at the beginning of the
virtual shelf? (We are especially interested in Czech alphabet - the
correct order of letters is available at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czech_alphabet.) Or maybe is it better do
do without and use only call numbers with decent ;-) letters?

Thank you in advance for sharing any thoughts and ideas :-)!

Linda