[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Web site updates: Copyright notice and Donation links

Jim Craner jim at chicagotech.org
Thu Jun 16 16:32:37 EDT 2011

Hi all,

First, congratulations to all of you in the community who have been working on the fiscal sponsorship and
organizational sustainability issues -- I think that's a huge milestone, so way to go!

The copyright/intellectual property status of website content is something that the Website Planning Team
(http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=webteam) has started discussing recently.  We want to
encourage creation and contribution of content from as many community members as possible and
encourage distribution and sharing of that content in the most user-friendly manner possible while
respecting existing copyright and Creative Commons licensing provisions.  Currently, we've bounced this
issue to the greater Communications Committee for further discussion.  If you have any thoughts or
questions or would like to get involved, you can check out our Website Planning Team home page linked
above or contact me off list.

The donation button/content/process is great news and it's not something that the Website Team has
discussed *at all* yet, but I have some conversation starters that I'd like to share.

* We don't just want to slap a Donate button up on the site, tell folks *how* to donate, and call it a day.
We need to tell folks *why* they should donate, *what* the EG community will do with the donations, and
recognize *who* is donating.

* With donors comes the need for donor management.  Donor recognition, donor cultivation, etc. are all
issues that may not be recognized as important now, but will be in the future, so we should be careful to
preserve as much information about our donors and their donations as we can.

* A "donate" button gets better results if it's part of a larger call to action.  Maybe it's one part of an overall
drive to have "everyone contribute as they can" - whether that's code, money, documentation, testing
time, etc.  Maybe it's a drive for a specific fundraising target -- pre-paying for ten years of "evergreen-ils.org"
and related domain registrations, or paying the internship salary for a Google Summer of Code intern.
Maybe it's just telling the story of an awesome scrappy open source ILS project that is growing rapidly and is
seeking funds to build a solid organizational infrastructure to support future growth.  Maybe it's a way folks
can get a free T-shirt and a warm fuzzy feeling for a $30 PayPal donation.

Anyway, congrats again to all of you who have worked on the organizational issues!

Thanks,
Jim

bounces at list.georgialibraries.org] On Behalf Of Lori Bowen Ayre [lori.ayre at galecia.com]
>  Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2011 3:24 PM
>  To: Evergreen Discussion Group
>  Subject: Re: [OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Web site updates: Copyright notice and Donation links
>
>  Thanks, Dan.  I'm in favor of the footer changes you recommend. And I'd like to see the same thing on
the Evergreen OPACs.

>  Shall we have one "Donate" button link to a webpage that provides all of the options available for
donating (with an explanation of why one might choose one option over another).